Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Little Mini Scrappy Quilt

So here's my latest project.  I have found two things...one, I need a walking foot or open toe foot or both.  Two, I need more fabric, and lots of it!  Therefore, this mini quilt is unfinished until I get one, because I keep tangling my thread and I'm afraid my needle will break unless I get one.  So I can do the quilt top, backing and make my quilt sandwich, but that's as far as I can get because at that point its just too thick to run it through with my regular feet.

I'm really enjoying quilting!  It's fun, relaxing, and I can be really creative.  So far the projects I've made haven't been from any patterns.  I just used my scrap material and my imagination.  I can't wait to make a BIG quilt, but of course I need alot of fabric for that, so it'll just have to wait I guess.  I'm definitely improving.  Still not perfect, but I'm okay with that.  Right now I'm mostly making small projects that I can just practice with.

So here's my latest....unfinished....
Okay the whole quilt top measures about 12 x 12 inches.  There are 16 blocks, 8 different fabrics.  Each block is 2 inches square.  Then there is a 1/2 inch border around that, which I screwed up on a little bit, and around that is a 2 inch border.  The binding will be the same blue fabric that makes up the inner border.  

Which is the same fabric I'm using for the backing....only because I didn't have enough of any of the other fabrics for the backing lol.  I have discovered modabakeshop.com and I'm really anxious to order some fabric from there so I can make a big quilt!  I have a couple of projects I want to do.  I want to make something for my BFF but I have to wait a little bit on that because of the fabric issue.  :/  And my husband wants me to make a quilt for him lol.  And I want to make a couple of table runners, some placemats, etc. because I'm getting a new kitchen table soon!!  Oh and I want to make a wall hanging to go above my mantle but I need to measure the space first.  Also want to make my girls a small quilt each, a dog bed for my Sophie....lol....I have alot of projects in mind.  Just need some fabric!!  Oh and that quilting/walking foot!

1 comment: