Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Weighted Blanket for Autism - for my BFF's Son

So my bestest friend, Annissa, (A Page In My Book) has a son who was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder today.  It's something she suspected for a while, so it's not a big shock to her family, but still it's something that no parent wants to hear.  When she got home, she asked me if I could possibly use my newfound sewing skills to make some sensory items for her son including some weighted blanket or something similar.  I of course was more than willing!  A) she's my best friend and a wonderful friend at that and I would do anything for her and B) I need the practice because I'm still learning - though I have to admit I am getting much better!  You can read more about her son, Nathan, and his medical concerns as well as her three other beautiful sons over at My Unique Flowers

Here are the three items I made for Nathan tonight and I'll be mailing them out to her tomorrow.  I hope he enjoys them and most of all, I hope that they help him!

This is a long tube, about 18 inches by 3 inches and it was supposed to have been a snake but I forgot to add a face lol.  Right now I'm using scrap fabric for these things but they are mainly things for her to "test out" on Nathan and get an idea of what works and what doesn't.  That's why I made three different things for him.  This one is already filled up with rice.


I know this dinosaur is ugly lol.....but I made it really fast and didn't exactly measure or anything, I was just winging it with some scraps.  She said he wont mind lol.  She told me he loves dinosaurs so I figured I would make him one as a little treat.  I left this unfilled so she can fill it with whatever she wants and then hand stitch it closed.


And this has to be my favorite thing I have made so far!  The fabrics are not exactly little boy fabrics, but again...these are for him to test out before I make stuff with nicer fabric.  As you can see, it's about 12 x 12 inches roughly, it's meant to be a lap blanket.  He's pretty small, so this should be about the right size for him to cuddle up with.

Close up on the stitching around the letters.  The blue fabric is ironed on and then stitched on and so are the letters.  Again, I left an opening for her to fill it with beans or rice or whatever she wants.  She can also add lavender or other calming scents to it if she wants to, and then just hand stitch it closed.  I would have liked to added buttons or zipper or velco but I had none of those on hand, except a zipper which I haven't figured out how to attach one yet and this was so beautiful I didn't want to go messing it up lol.

All three of Nate's gifts!  I hope you love them sweet boy!!

5 comments:

  1. Seriously - you made me cry today with these, I love them I love them I love them and I'm sure he will too!! We will definitely video call when I give them to him, but I'll have to fill them first! LOL... but I'll be getting stuff for that before it gets here (I hope)

    Love them!!! Thank you again and again and again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done! Absolutely brilliant information.

    I used the weighted blanket asutralia and its really amazing with soft fabric. I bought my Weighted Blanket Australia from calming moments australia. There are awesome and fast service provider. Very cooperative on phone calls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post, i want to say thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete