Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Tools of a Noob

Here's some of the items I use.  I currently do not have a large selection of threads, fabrics, or other notions to work with.  I'm planning to remedy that problem soon, but for now this is what I have to work with.

This is my sewing machine.  It's a few years old but it works just fine and is very easy for a noob to use.  It's a Brother CS-8060 model.  Some of the notable features it has are the automatic threading mechanism, a variety of stitches (49 I believe), ability to control stitch width and length if desired, speed control, ability to raise or lower the feed dogs, and it also has a free arm which makes it alot easier when sewing things like pants legs or shirt sleeves.  I believe this machine was around $100, maybe a bit more and it was purchased at Walmart in 2004.


These are some of the accessories that came with it.  It has several additional presser feet, which I'm not sure what they all do yet.  It has a buttonhole foot, a couple of tools, a seam ripper, some extra needles, a twin needle, and a couple of other things which I have yet to figure out what they are or what they do.  


Of all things, I do not have a pin cushion yet.  I know you can buy them cheap at Walmart but I just haven't been lately.  So I created this contraption - using some scrap flannel fabric, a piece of cardboard (which was once an empty toilet paper roll), and a pin on the bottom to hold it together lol.  Yes, it's sad.  But it works, doesn't it?  :)  Improvisation is my friend.


These are my two friends....Mr. Rotary cutter and his baby.  Unfortunately they are homeless because I do not have a rotary mat yet.  For those that don't know what these are or what they do, well they essentially cut things for you nice and easy.  When you have a mat, you lay something on it like fabric or a pattern piece and then with the help of a ruler, you use your rotary cutter to make nice clean, even, straight cuts.  I definitely need a mat and it's at the top of a long list of stuff I need.  :)  For now, Mr. Rotary cutter and his baby are just hanging out in my sewing room waiting to be used.


That's about it!  Other than some fabric, a few spools of thread, a couple of measuring tapes, that's pretty much the extent of my collection.  Tax time is coming up though, and I plan to put that money to good use!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment